Sunday, October 2, 2011

PooPoo cookies, Veganized


When I was growing up, my mother made the absolute best cookies. My very favorites were Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies. Since they are a no-bake cookie and are cooked on the stovetop, humidity becomes a factor in how hard and crumbly (my favorite) or soft the end result. Living in the Deep South, the cookies seemed to be a rare treat, only made on those rare cool and dry days.

When I married and had children, I followed in my mom's culinary footsteps and made the cookies on special days for my kids. In my house now, they are affectionately referred to as, "PooPoo Cookies." See the photos and you'll see why. Brown, lumpy with oatmeal and each one oddly shaped, I guess they fit the bill. I'm not sure what poopoo actually tastes like, but I'll bet the farm that these are much tastier! I was a little skeptical if they would set up not being made with cow's milk (did you know that a box of jello pudding mix doesn't set up with non-dairy milk?), but they turned out fine on this crisp, cool non-humid autumn day.

Vegan PooPoo Cookies

1/2 c. non-dairy butter (Earth Balance)
1/2 c. non-dairy milk (I used Westsoy brand plain, unsweetened)
2 c. sugar
4T cocoa
2t. vanilla
1/2 c. smooth peanut butter
3 - 3 1/2 c. quick cooking oats

Melt first 4 ingredients in large saucepan over medium heat and whisk until smooth. Bring to the boil and boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Turn off heat and add vanilla and peanut butter, whisking until very smooth and peanut butter is melted. Stir in oats and drop by spoonfuls (or use small scoop) on waxed or parchment paper. Allow to set up and cool (approx 30 minutes). I don't really know how long they last, as they are gone in a few hours at our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment