Thursday, October 13, 2011

Portabella & Porcini Pot Pie

I had a busy day out of town with Henry today visiting his pediatric opthamologist. On the 2 hour drive home, I'm wondering how I can talk myself out of yet another date with my secret boyfriend, Papa John. I remembered the baby carrots that I bought earlier in the week, thinking that they looked really cute and autumn-y, not knowing yet how I might prepare them. Oh, and then there's the puff pastry that I thawed days ago, but haven't had time to use. What to make? Feeling in a 'shroom mood, I decided upon a pot pie of sorts with a beefy gravy and sauteed mushrooms. Top it off with the baby carrots, roasted until caramelized and some steamed broccolini on the side...yum!

Portabella & Porcini Pot Pie
1 oz. dried porcini mushrooms
2 med-lg. portobella mushroom caps, roughly chopped
1 t. olive oil
1 t. + 1 T. Earth Balance (non-dairy butter sub that's the best!)
1T. all purpose flour
1 t. dried thyme
1 c. veg beef flavored broth made from concentrate (I like Better Than Bouillion "wet" brand or Frontier dried brand)
2t. Marsala or Sherry
1 sheet of frozen puff pastry, thawed (I use Pepperidge Farm)

Soak dried porcinis in hot water to cover well. Let stand for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, heat saute pan with 1 t. olive oil and 1 t. Earth Balance. Cook portabellas until slightly browned, adding some of the soaking liquid from the porcinis, if needed to keep the pan from cooking dry. Add porcinis and their soaking liquid and cook a few minutes longer. Add wine and cook until liquid is reduced by half. Set aside. Cut the thawed puff pastry sheet into halves or forths, depending on the size of your serving dish (s). Bake them at 400 until puffed and browned on top. Set aside. Heat remaining 1 T. of Earth Balance in a saucepan. Add flour and whisk constantly until smooth. Add "beef" broth and stir constantly until smooth. Allow to cook a few minutes more until thickened and bubbly. Stir in thyme. Add broth mixture to mushroom mixture and pour into serving dishes. Top with puff pastry and serve. Don't add salt until tasting first, as the broth is often plenty salty on its own. Serves 2.

For the baby carrots:
The ones that I bought were cleaned and microwave ready, so I just laid them, not overlapping, on a cookie sheet, drizzled with 1 t. olive oil and 1 t. herbes de provence and salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Roast in a 425 oven for 10 minutes or until softened and starting to caramelize.


No comments:

Post a Comment