Saturday, January 21, 2012

Where's the beef?



Where's the Beef?




For many, a sandwich must center around the meat...ham, turkey, roast beef, whatever. Oh, of course, there's good old PB & J, but that's just for kids or Fridays during Lent when you're sick of tuna or egg salad. But, I've found that sandwiches can be absolutely delicious (or as my son, Henry says, "Dewicious") with just the good healthy stuff.
After a day of birthday parties, speakers at church, TONS of rain and then sneaking off to the afternoon movie with my best friend and hubby (same person!), I had to throw together dinner for all the family and "Family Movie Night." Something quick and "snack-y" but still better than chicken nuggets and fries. I whipped up some french bread pizzas and veggies and dip for the kids and for those of us with discerning palates, a vegetable panini.  The sandwich was really good and really quick to pull together. It was great with the veggies that I used, but I could imagine lots of possibilities here...have fun with it!

Grilled Veggie Panini

*1 T olive oil
*1/2 a purple onion, thinly sliced
*1 roasted red pepper (I cheated and used jarred), thinly sliced
*1 small produce pack of baby bellas (small portabella mushrooms), sliced
*1 clove garlic minced (there again, I cheated and used jarred)
*fresh leaf spinach
*homemade or store-bought pesto (there AGAIN, well you, know,,,I cheated   and used pesto from a jar)
*freshly cracked pepper
*large pinch of seasoned salt (I LOVE to use Urban Accents brand Isle of Capri Seasoned salt- I get this at my local EarthFare)

1 loaf of multi-grain french bread, sliced length-wise

Heat oil in large saute pan or wok. Toss in all the veggies and the garlic and saute until slightly browned and soft. Spread 2-3 T pesto onto halved bread loaf. Layer spinach, then grilled veggies on top of pesto. Top with remaining half of loaf and slice into 2 or 3 sandwich size portions. Grill each sandwich pressing down while grilling, until grill marks are achieved and sandwich if fully hot on the inside.  Serves 2-3.

No comments:

Post a Comment